Topic with no new replies

How to connect a RS232 device and receive information

Written on: 19. 02. 2016 [22:59]
sergehijo
Sergio Ehijo P.
Topic creator
registered since: 16.02.2016
Hello there,

My pc doesn't have a serial port. so what i did was to connect the serial device to another pc with a serial port, and through the commands ssh and picocom (a kind of hyperterminal for linux) i can see the data sent and received. So, technically, i am fooling my pc 'cause it is thinking it has a physical connection with the device.

I have tried to connect the device to openscada, but i do not know how. I've read the quickstart, and it seems is not what i am looking for. So, if you could enlighten me, i'd be really thankful.
Written on: 20. 02. 2016 [08:52]
roman
Roman Savochenko
Contributor
Developer
registered since: 12.12.2007
"sergehijo" wrote:

My pc doesn't have a serial port. so what i did was to connect the serial device to another pc with a serial port, and through the commands ssh and picocom (a kind of hyperterminal for linux) i can see the data sent and received. So, technically, i am fooling my pc 'cause it is thinking it has a physical connection with the device.

Use USB to RS232/485 simple and cheap converters.
Use a forwarding through the network.

Learn, learn and learn better than work, work and work.
Written on: 22. 02. 2016 [21:18]
sergehijo
Sergio Ehijo P.
Topic creator
registered since: 16.02.2016
Thanks Roman. So, i have connected this device to my computer. The real question is, how can i see the data in openscada?
Written on: 23. 02. 2016 [16:28]
roman
Roman Savochenko
Contributor
Developer
registered since: 12.12.2007
"sergehijo" wrote:

Thanks Roman. So, i have connected this device to my computer. The real question is, how can i see the data in openscada?

In manual for observe, test or debug: by the link
Wrap to some data acquisition procedure: by the link

Learn, learn and learn better than work, work and work.